Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Years in Miramar

Since January is excruciatingly hot in the Buenos Aires, most portenos get the hell out of the city. A popular summer destination, the beach of course. Many head to Mar de Plata (below), where you can hit the beach with thousands of other people. Because apparently some people like to do that.

However, I am not one of those people. Instead we headed to Miramar, a family friendly beach 500 km from Buenos Aires, perhaps most famously known as the place where Che began his motorcycle trip around South America.


I stayed with Roberto and his family at their summer home, "The Highlands". Roberto´s family fed me amazing dinners, asked me questions about the US, ("How do you eat dinner so early? What do you do for the rest of the evening?") and patiently listened to me and my mediocre spanish.

All I did here was eat, drink, go to the beach, ride bikes around town and hang out in the backyard. Not very interesting for my travel blog, but very enjoyable.


Travelers Tip: Always bring gifts. It´s like bribing people to like you and encouraging them to forgive and forget any future faux pas you are likely to commit while in their presence. Food is always a good choice. I brought Northwest smoked salmon and Ghirardelli chocolates, both were well received.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely Megan. Say hello to Roberto. My friend Patty is dating a Chilean gentleman at the moment..... perhaps you will see her there! Love the blog- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete